Prolific Academic is an online crowdsourcing site for academic surveys based in the UK. It is fairly new, and does some things a bit differently. Such as:
1. Better screening: researchers can request specific demographics and PA will screen.
2. Required minimum wage: the site requires that researchers pay a minimum of 5 pounds sterling ($7.62 at today’s exchange rates) per hour.
3. Researchers can chose not to have other Researchers complete their study–today, no studies were open to completion by anyone with a researcher account.
4. You must have an academic email or a Facebook account to register to be a worker.I’m not quite sure why or what this means for researchers.
5. Payment is via Paypal. I’m not sure if Paypal fees get added, and if so to whom. I’ll check this out and let you know.
6. The interface seems pretty simple for Researchers. For subjects..there doesn’t seem to be a lot of searching ability. But given only two studies are posted today, that might not be a problem.
The fee to PA is 10% of total costs (so if you pay $100 for rewards, you pay an additional $10 in fees to PA. This is the same for MTurk ‘regular’ (not Master’s) workers.
On Sunday, I began a study using both services to look at response similarities and differences be. Stay tuned!